FOMO is alive and kicking thanks to Social Media.
Hi beauty and skincare fans!
Halloween is here! It might be the season for scaring people and of masks and make-up but we at the Proactiv Company want to take care of your skin at this spooky time of year to help to attack any frightful breakouts? We know all of the tricks that you can use to treat your skin….!
We all know that when we feel anxious we are prone to getting spots so to make skin less scary use Proactiv+ Skin Purifying Mask which contains sulphur to help clear pores, blemishes and help to prevent new breakouts. This absorbing mask works to absorb excess oil leaving skin soothed, conditioned, nourished and hydrated.
Even more scary than Halloween though is the effect that Social Media is having on us all and rather than fearing things that go bump in the night; what we are afraid of is missing out!
FOMO is alive and kicking thanks to Social Media. Recent surveys have discovered that 50% of mums surveyed were actually ‘addicted’ to Facebook*. 60% of those in the 18-35 age bracket actually feel fearful that their friends are out having fun without them! **
The phenomenon that is Social Media is instilling feelings of stress and anxiety in people of all ages. 1 in 2 teenagers feel as if they are missing out and anxiety levels actually rise with every hour that people spend on Social Media. So what are some things that you can do to alleviate the worry caused by Social Media?
1. Have a reality check – the last time you were out with your friend, was she really the fun-loving crazy party girl portrayed on her Instagram page or was she that person when the camera was in front of her and frowning the rest of the time! Chances are the life that you craving doesn’t exist!
2. Avoid overuse of Social Media – it won’t kill your FOMO but it will make you feel better. Spend a night away from Facebook – pamper yourself with some of our products instead!
3. If you want to stay in; stay in! Don’t be so hard on yourself – you are allowed to rest and relax at home.
4. Are you causing your own FOMO? Perhaps you are actually saying ‘no’ to activities and invites all the time…If you do this people will stop inviting you and then it won’t just be FOMO it will be full-on missing out!
5. Host a party – organize something yourself. That way you can be sure that you are in the thick of it!
6. Find a balance – you don’t have to do it all. You don’t have to post pictures every day, you don’t have to be living it up every night, you don’t have to wear the coolest clothes or go to the best parties!
Examine the roots of your FOMO – your mental health is important too. Spending time on social media can increase your stress levels but is there more to it than that? Are you generally dissatisfied or wanting more? If so you can do it, be Proactiv and take control back……
So, don’t be the mother that gets offended if you don’t get enough ‘likes’ for your updated profile picture? And you are truly beautiful in yourself, you don’t need to be made up and photo-ready for Facebook?
Come back to us next week to get some final tips to look fabulous for your formal…after all the preparation the time has come!
Where did we get the stats?
* Deakin University Researchers from the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition as quoted in Herald Sun
** Statistics taken from the 5th Annual Stress and Wellbeing in Australis survey (Nov 2015)