The Body is Beautiful
Just because it’s winter and your body is under wraps, doesn’t mean you can neglect it. It’s important to take care of your body inside and out, no matter what the season. In winter we can often let healthy eating take a back seat as we indulge in comfort food and we don’t take care of our skin as well as we should.
Here are some ways to keep your body beautiful...
1) Exfoliate - Dead skin is the worst in winter! Our skin dries out with the cold and it can dehydrate when we use heating and electric blankets. This leaves us with a lot of dead, dry skin so it’s important to exfoliate to remove all the dead skin cells and help our circulation. The Proactiv + Cleansing Bar is perfect for exfoliating and cleansing your whole body in the shower.
2) Dry Brushing - Dry brushing is another great way to exfoliate your body. It also helps the circulation in your lymphatic system which helps your body break down toxins and de stress. It has also been said to help reduce cellulite. All you need is a body brush with medium to firm bristles from the chemist. Brush all over your body, towards the heart, every day for optimum results.
3) Get a lot of light - It can be harder to get out into the sunlight in winter, with shorter days and the desire just to hide inside and ‘hibernate’ over the winter. But sunlight helps your mood, gives you vitamin D and helps with your sleep patterns. If you don’t get sunlight it can affect the quality of your sleep, which leads to circles, dry skin and an irritable mood.
4) Eat Fresh Fruits and Vegetables - We know how tempting it is to indulge in comfort food over winter, but it’s important to keep eating those healthy fruit and veggies to make sure your skin is getting the best nutrients. So make sure you are cooking up a rainbow of vegetables for meals and not relying too much on that potato bake.
5) Hydrate - It can be easy to forget to drink a lot of water in winter because we may not feel thirsty. It’s also easy to replace water with hot drinks such as tea, coffee and hot chocolates. But none of these will replace the water in your body. If you want a warm drink, why not try hot water with some lemon in it to start the day.
6) Replace lost moisture - When summer goes, so does the humidity, so our skin can dry out easily. It’s important to replace the lost moisture through a good, all over moisturiser, and making sure you use a humidifier (or even just bowls of water around the house) if you have the heating on all the time. The heat strips the moisture from the air, so the bowls of water and the humidifier will help replace that lost moisture. Your skin will thank you!
We hope this helps you get through winter with healthy, happy skin. Next week we will be taking you through your morning and night skin care routines and what you should be doing every day and periodically. See you then!